Friday 2 August 2019

July's wine selection

Hubby and I enjoyed some old favourites and discovered some new wines in July .... no wine tastings, no big events .... wine enjoyed at home! These were my highlights of the month.

Majestic Wine - £5.32 mixed case price 
We have always enjoyed Vinho Verde and having enjoyed a holiday in Portugal last year it reminds us of good times. This Majestic Wine has high floral notes on the nose, is crystal clear in the glass and has flavours of white peach and tropical fruits. It's an elegant wine with a good depth to its finish  with an underlying delicate fizz that gives it a little bit extra. I really enjoyed this wine chilled in the garden but it was also very good slightly warmer after dinner.  

Domaine Mas - purchased in France

We holidayed in the Languedoc late summer 2017 and visited many domaines and caveau. I especially enjoyed our visit to Domaine Mas where we discovered far more wines made by Jean-Claude Mas than we have access to here in the UK. You can read about our visit, as well as our visit to Abbaye des Monges, in my blog post Two Special Vineyards.

Claude Val is a blended wine made from grapes from a range of the Mas vineyards. I was attracted to this bottle by the artwork (we also purchased a white which had an equally artistic label). A blend of Grenache, Carignan, Merlot and Syrah, all the greats of southern France giving it a great flavour of dark fruits, touch of spice and a liquorice finish.

I loved this, such a shame we didn't bring back more - I wonder if it's available here in the UK?

Cour-Cheverny - purchased in France 
Loire Valley white wine is my favourite, namely Sancerre but I also enjoy Tourraine and Cheverney. When in France I always look for a bottle of Cour-Cheverney as this Loire Wine is made from just Romorantin grapes, it has only been an appellation since the late 1990s.

It's superb golden colour with great highlights looked very inviting in my Jaume Domaine glass. It's full of ripe apples, crispness and minerality from the limestone soil it grows on. A dry wine that for me has a little bit more to offer than Suvignon Blanc and served chilled is superb. Hopefully I can find some more on our next holiday as this was my last bottle!

Slurp - £7.95
Unfortunately we don't live near a Slurp store and although you can buy online I love a good browse in a wine shop. Luckily we were passing by Banbury on a recent holiday so called in for the said browse. I was delighted to rediscover Pasquiers, a red and white wine I have enjoyed before but never found in other stores.

A Pays d'Oc wine from Southern France (you can tell it's my favourite wine country) this is a Grenache Noir wine. The colour is great, the nose is full of fruit which carries through into the mouth. This is a 'settle back in the chair' wine that has great depth and a lasting finish.

Majestic Wine
This is a new wine to me, made from old vine Chenin Blanc, younger Grenache Blanc and a small amount of Palomino. A small percentage of this South African wine has been aged in oak barrels with the remainder matured 'sur lie' making it a rich elegant wine that is perfect on a summer day. 

In the glass the colour had a very slight edge of pale green; its nose was full of ripe pears and its flavour had plenty of white fruit,  floral hint and a mineral finish. I cannot remember the price and unfortunately it isn't currently available online but if you spot it in store it's one to grab and enjoy.

B&M Home Bargains - £6.99
I shouldn't really include this wine as I haven't opened it yet ... so why am I? Well it's my turn to choose the tasting for this month on Cuvée Reserve wine forum. Every month one of our members chooses a wine for everyone to buy and review at home ... reviews are posted after the 20th of each month to give everyone a chance to try without prejudgment from other's views.

This month I have chosen 19 Crimes Chard which is available in most supermarkets but cheapest in B&M Home Bargains. I have had this wine before at the Christmas Ideas wine tasting I hosted for  the Leaders of our Scout Group, I hope Cuvée Reserve members enjoy it as much as the Leaders did.

Cuvée Reserve wine forum is free to join and has many wine reviews in easy to find sections. Follow this link and by all means join in our August tasting of 19 Crimes Chard. 

No comments: