Saturday 4 April 2020

My latest travels ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm not allowed out ๐Ÿ˜•

I have to stay home ๐Ÿ˜•

I'm missing our holidays and days out ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜”

However I have been discovering the delights and wonders of the extensive grounds at the beautiful Midlands' estate Maison Hearnden.

On arrival the vast block paved driveway offered so much directional walking: front to back, side to side, orbital circuits .... the choice was exhausting, all with the added bonus of a slight incline.


After visiting every block (I wanted to get the most out of my experience) I decided to explore further and ventured down a long, oak fenced path. Glimpsing ahead through the open wooden gateway I was intrigued by what lay ahead ...

Under foot changed from block to paving and after passing the necessity of any estate (big or small they all have rubbish ๐Ÿ˜ฎ) I discovered more of this beautiful estate.

First was the delightful walled garden with bright yellow primroses filling their ornate containers bordering the first sign of wildlife .... I must revisit as I'm sure in the summer there will be a passion flower in full bloom.


Turning left the paved area stretched out before me, it was quite a few footsteps to the other side. As I strolled passed I was tempted to climb the stairway on my right but not wanting to miss anything I resisted and continued two more steps forward to discover another delight...


... a super little tucked away bistro seating area, complete with more wildlife, so many birds in this garden. Spring flowers in bloom and bud added to the attraction, I must bring a flask next time as this would make a perfect rest stop.


Retracing my (two) steps I climbed the stairway onto the gravel courtyard and discovered evidence of Maison Hearnden being a real working estate, the laundry maid had been out earlier doing the chores!


I was surprised and delighted to find a pond with a seating edge allowing visitors to rest and spend time watching the friendly fish. I didn't see any notices but maybe the estate sells fish food as the fish with their open mouths suggested they expected shadows above the water to be bringing treats.


Travelling on across the red gravel I spotted not only a bird feeding table but an ancient bird bath; this must be the wild part of the garden, confirmed by the fern and dishevelled hyacinths.


Just beyond the wild garden was something I had been hoping to see ... a grapevine! No estate is complete without a vineyard. I can see it is early days but with plenty of signs of life this vine looks like Maison Hearnden could be producing its own delights in 2020 ๐Ÿ˜‰


Rambling along, across gravel and block edging, I followed a slate path. A secret place, I had found the gardener's secret place. I did knock but sadly no-one was home.

It was a little disappointing to still be on my own, part of me had hoped to accidentally bump into someone else but it was a treat to have all the exciting discoveries to myself. 

Another sign of closure was soon upon me, an all weather party venue. There was no doubt about it, evidenced by the wine bottle ornament and hanging lights, this gazebo seating area was entertainment central .... just not right now ๐Ÿ˜‰

Passing another piece of party evidence, wine table complete with hidden cooler, I returned to the top of the stairway and having a last longing look at the gazebo I made my way down the stairs, across the paving and back to the blocked driveway where my journey had begun.


To my surprise, and delight, I had spent 30 minutes touring this amazing estate. Every step was a new discovery, there are many places I will be visiting again when I am next in the vicinity. Unbelievably I had walked a mile, who knew it was so extensive, I'll need my hiking boots next time ๐Ÿ˜‚




5 comments:

Julie said...

I'm sure I have visited this place before, but it certainly has had a lovely makeover since my last visit.

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

An enjoyable visit, Clare. Brought a smile to my face.

Christine said...

Ha ha! I love it Clare!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

This sounds like a wonderful place to visit. I do hope you will revisit for the Summer Blooms? I hear the Autumn colours are also spectacular.

Astrids dragon said...

OMGoodness, I love your fabulous tour! Too bad there wasn't a party for you to crash, better luck next time!