Monday 30 July 2018

There was an Englishman, a Frenchman and an Irishman ...

..... who's skill made our weekend just perfect!

The Englishman, or Englishwoman, works at The Bolney Estate, an English vineyard we visited earlier this year on our way to France. So why am I writing about them again?

One word .... Rosso !


This year The Bolney Estate launched an English vermouth, richer and herbier than other vermouths this is superb. Our much traveled bottle (French holiday and home) was finally opened one night last week when I was cooking steak - I fancied something refreshing, new and slightly different as my chef's perk. Rosso was, as I knew it would be, spot on; mixed with Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic served over ice (it didn't last long due to the extra hot weather and being by the stove) it was delicious.

Saturday night our friends came round for a summer's evening in our new garden - rain nearly stopped play however our new gazebo provided the perfect shelter. Rain or no rain Rosso was being served with plenty of debating over what it was from where. They were amazed when I revealed it to be an English vermouth. It was loved by everyone, we're all eagerly awaiting it to be available here in the Midlands.


The Frenchman, or to be exact Frenchmen, were responsible for the delicious red wine we enjoyed. Other reds were opened but these two were my choices for the evening. Usually a white wine drinker I think it was the change in weather that swayed me towards French red, not that I need much encouragement.

The first was Sainbury's Taste the Difference Pic Saint Loup - a small appellation around 20 kms inland from Montpellier. At 12.5% this was a lighter wine in volume but certainly not in flavour.

A deep red in the the glass with scarlet highlights it gave an invitingly fruity nose with high notes of herbs, perfect follow on from our Rosso. This French red was so fruity, plenty of redcurrants and blackcurrants, all those deep summer fruits finishing with a slight liquorice sweetness. I happily sat back in my rattan chair under the gazebo enjoying every drop; certainly a not to miss wine at just £8!

Staying in the Languedoc area of France my second red was darker, heavier and had me sinking even further into the rattan. Laurent Miquel FaugĂ©res is from Majestic Wine at £8.99, a good price for such a weighty wine. It's full of all the summer fruits but with a very slight oaking giving it rounded soft tannins, accompanied by a edge of chocolate on its finish, just perfect!

I really do enjoy red wine from the South of France, both of these wines reminded me of many holidays, some of which were also under grey skies. Widely available here in the UK means I can enjoy them again, although of course I would never decline the opportunity to buy en France!


And so to Ireland, a place I have never visited but could easily be tempted as I love Guinness and everything Bailey's. I have recently discovered Bailey's Iced Coffee Mocha which comes in a handy size can, very nice with plenty of ice on a 'too hot' day.

But it wasn't coffee or chocolate .... it was Strawberries and Cream, Bailey's new Liqueur. Everything Bailey's say about this is so true, I couldn't put it any better ....

This sumptuous seasonal flavour has been blended perfectly for those indulgent days in the sun. Perfectly blending the fresh, sumptuous taste of strawberries with light and creamy vanilla, together with the luxurious taste of Baileys Original Irish Cream.

To accompany this I made a new version of one of my favourite desserts, a favourite with friends too. Instead of ginger biscuits I used chocolate chip cookies dipped in Coffee Liqueur, as good as the ginger/sherry version and so easy to prepare.


After weeks and weeks of scorchio weather it of course rained the one night we planned to be outside, it did not however dampen our evening, with help from our English, French and Irish producers. A superb evening with superb food, wine and liqueurs enjoyed by all.

No comments: