If you are a regular reader of my blog, thank you, you'll have seen I've started making wine again. If you missed my previous posts here's the links:
After months of settling in the demijohns I decided yesterday to bottle my wine. I have already filled bottles from one the apple demijohn which have been very much enjoyed by the apple donator!
I was a little concerned about the plum wine as there was a yeasty under taste so I added some finings... this is not something I usually do as my wine is just fruit and sugar. I added finings to one demijohn of plum and one of apple.
I don't think it has done anything to the apple but the plum does seem smoother although the demijohn of plum without the finings is less yeasty after having longer in the demijohn.
It's very satisfying making wine - turning these
into beautiful clear and delicious wine
Now I'm making Rhubarb wine, kindly donated by the apple grower hopefully this will be as successful. I haven't made apple or plum wine before but in the late 1980s when we first moved into our house and before our children were born I made some Rhubarb wine which was superb.
It's settling well and no longer bubbling so today I will rack (syphon) it into clean demijohns and leave it to settle more. I will not be adding finings to this wine.
I'd really like to try making pea pod wine, something my Grandad made and it's his book I use. It's very old and falling apart but the recipes are great, I'd also like to try beetroot wine but I need a dark glass demijohn for that as the light can change it's colour. I might also try making dandelion wine again but it needs a lot of flowers and it's a bit smelly to make as they need boiling.
If any of my local friends have spare fruit of veg I'd love to try making them into wine or donate them to Pressed for Good, a local social enterprise using unwanted fruit and vegetables to make cider with profits going to good causes.
One thing I need to do is get some good labels. I have searched online but as yet haven't found quite what I'm looking for. I might buy some larger labels and have a go at designing my own, printing might be the tricky bit getting the sizes right ... there's a challenge!





No comments:
Post a Comment