Saturday 9 July 2022

Chepstow Races

Last night Hubby and I went to Chepstow Races our first visit to a racecourse. It was a last minute thing and a long journey each way, we got home early hours this morning. 

But what a great day ... completed by Paloma Faith live concert. 


We decided to stand above the Parade Ring and Winners Enclosure, never thinking we would stay there the whole time but it was so interesting we did. The large screen provided a great view of the races, good job as the horses looked like specks in the distance even with Hubby's binoculars.



As we were driving home, and had enjoyed a pub lunch on the way down, we only had a couple of drinks. Good job as unsurprisingly they were expensive. We politely refused the only red wine on offer, a small bottle of Echo Falls Merlot at £6.00!

Talking of money I do bet on the horses and, when I remember, I do enter the ITV7 competition. However I'm no big gambler: during lockdown we watched the Cheltenham Races and I opened a Sky Bet account with £20. Since I have placed a few bets now and then when we watch the racing on tv: I haven't had to top up my pot, I'm still in credit.

How so? Am I a great predictor? Oh no, it's simply because I place 5p each way bets. It's the fun of who wins for me, money can spoil things. 

So how did my 5p EW betting go at Chepstow? I spent a total of £1.60 and I won £1.58 ... a day of fun costing me 2p ... haha 

My Sky Bet pot is a healthy £23.48 so plenty of bet money to play with. Hubby bets more than me but still not really large bets, he ended the day £15 up.

I had the first three winners, Hubby had the last three, so one of us won every race! As always my choices were based on name, number, jockey or the jockey's silk colour. We didn't know any of the jockeys at Chepstow so most of my choices were name based. 

It was great to see my winning horses in the Winner's Enclosure. The horses certainly enjoyed their drink and wash down after the races.

Bug Boy ..... 52p win

Rhubarb .... 30p win

Adaay In Asia .... 28p win

It was Ladies Day as well as the Paloma Faith concert, plenty of ladies in lovely dresses and hats. Earlier in the day I'd noticed a very striking lady in a brown polka dot dress, not surprisingly she was the Runner Up in the Best Outfit competition. 

All three ladies chosen looked lovely, the winner received a very large cheque!



The racing over it was concert time and decided to stay where we were as we could see the stage in the distance and the big screen. Of course Paloma could be heard from anywhere, she has a great voice. 

We also didn't want to be in a crowd, with Covid numbers rising and many people being a little unsteady on their feet we decided to stay safe. To be honest our position was great in that respect for the whole day, the breeze was blowing from in front of us too.

We have seen Paloma Faith in concert a few tines, she is a great live singer. We didn't know many of her new songs but certainly enjoyed the music, atmosphere and warm evening.



Just before we left the sky was amazing, both looking west and east. Certainly a sign for warmer day to follow.



We had a super time at Chepstow and will certainly go to a race meeting again. We left slightly before the end of the concert as we had a long drive home. It was so funny trying to remember where we had parked the car in the dark, we should have looked for a tree or lampost marker when we arrived.

Thank you to everyone involved in making it such a super day ... hopefully one we can do again.

No comments: