Monday 11 April 2022

Drinks catch up

This is just a quick blog for my own records about the drinks we have enjoyed since returning from Scotland. 

Mother's Day at home with Hubby and son was a celebration in the garden and a bbq. The last one we had was New Year's Eve when it was actually a few degrees warmer, what strange weather we are having. 


I was spoilt with a bottle of white Chateauneuf du Pape from Hubby and a bottle of flavoured gin from our son, two super Mother's Day gifts that I will be enjoying soon.



We both enjoy many wines from Laithwaites and The Waxed Bat is one of our favourites. It was very muched enjoyed one evening watching a good film.


Lidl have had a great offer recently, two bottles of St Emilion for £16, that we thought was good for a try. I'm glad we did as although nothing super amazing it was a lovely red wine, I'm glad it was a two bottle deal so we have another to enjoy.


On to beer, these were a few we enjoyed whilst in Cardiff. Brain's is a Welsh beer so a must and the other beers were Samuel Smith's from Tadcaster, new beers and new pub to us (blurry photos ... oops)




It's nearly Easter so my decorations are up: a nice bottle of white was very much deserved after being so
creative. We think this was a gift as we also have had a similar red. Ribellata Trebbiano was an easy drinking white but not one we'll seek out to have again.


Hubby's sister and husband are visiting from USA and joined us for a meal one evening. Our red wine was a smooth Gigondas from Aldi, on offer at £9.99 and is on our buy again list although the full price is £14.99

We will certainly be buying this Chardonnay Limoux again. Also from Aldi at around £6 it was so smooth and not overly creamy, which is what puts me off many chardonnay wines.


At the end of April we are hosting our first Wine Tasting since February 2020. I am so looking forward to sharing wine again with our friends although as yet I am unsure as to which wines to choose. 

19 Crimes is a brand we have tried before but not their Sauvignon Blanc so when I spotted a bottle it was a must buy. I'm glad I did as it was super. Being a New World wine from Australia I was expecting a nose and flavour full of kiwi and gooseberries, sometimes a little over strong. However it was a much softer wine, slightly similar to a French sauvignon with plenty of melon flavours. 


It's lovely to be enjoying wine and beer again and, as I said, I am really looking forward to hosting our Wine Tasting evening ... any ideas on what to include would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: