Sunday 20 February 2022

Valentine's week

It's been a super week, if not quite our original plans. Valentine's Day we took a drive to Stowe Gardens, a beautiful place which you can read about in my dedicated post - National Trust - Stowe

Hubby has treated us to a super picnic basket, we have a backpack picnic set but it doesn't have much food space. This has two insulated food bags, plenty of utensils, plates and most importantly wine glasses! 


 After our 4 mile walk around the gardens we enjoyed our picnic in the back of the car ... why in the car? I think the second photo says it all!



Back home we had a lovely sharing steak with a bottle of Bodega Matsu wine. It's one of Hubby's favourites, there are three red wines in the range with El Viejo, the 'old man', being the most matured. I bought a bottle to celebrate Hubby's retirement a few years ago and another for his big birthday. 

Although I'm not a fan of Tempranillo wine, especially Rioja, this is quite nice and was perfect with our steak. From the Castilla Y León region this full bodied red is full of dark cherries and blackcurrants with a lovely depth of spice and hint of cedar.


Our dessert was something I haven't had in ages, brandy snaps. I filled them with cream and dipped some strawberries in chocolate ... delicious with our bubbly.


My wine this week has been a bottle of Sancerre purchased on our holiday there in 2019. It was nice but not lovely, to be honest I think I drank it just at the right time


My other white was a favourite from Majestic, Abbotts and Delaunay Viognier. It's a lovely aromatic wine with plenty of peach and apricot flavours. A superb example of a creamy floral French wine from the Languedoc.


This week brings light week days with party time at the weekend ... exciting! 








1 comment:

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I'm not a fan of Sancerre. It depends on the marque. These days if it's raining I tend to stay indoors unless I'm on holiday; so well done on going out.