Friday 30 December 2022

Les Miserables in Cardiff

Hubby surprised me on Christmas Day with tickets to see Les Miserables in Cardiff. 

I have walked past, and admired the Millennium Centre so many times. I was as excited to go inside as I was to see my absolute favourite show.

The words are actually windows, a clever way of illuminating them without extra lighting, the entire building is environmentally conscientious. It was quite surreal to stand behind Crev. 


Our seats were very high up but thankfully there were plenty of rails along each row. The first time we saw Les Miserables was at the Palace Theatre on the corner of Shaftsbury Avenue in London. 

We sat in the Gods then and I was captured not only by the story and the music but by how the stage setting was so clever to ensure even those looking down were kept in the story ... when Fantine passed away the bed was carried completely off stage, not just into the dark ... that for me makes Les Miserables so absorbing.


This production met that perfectly, everything we saw was the story. In truth if you haven't seen Les Miserables before you may wish to sit lower down as face recognition it tricky from on high, the main characters are obvious but having seen it over 10 times I can now enjoy observing the other characters. That said I enjoyed every 'word perfect mouthing' second!

The live orchestra was superb although we couldn't see them. I have always wanted to play the harp which has some important moments i  Les Miserables. A huge round of applause to all the musicians.

A massive massive thank you to my thoughtful superb Hubby ... what a treat!


No comments: