Friday 6 May 2022

International Sauvignon Blanc Day

I don't need a reason or excuse to open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, it's my favourite wine. However it is not all the same, this grape offers do many different aromas and flavours depending on where it is grown.

Today is International Sauvignon Blanc Day but to my surprise I only have three in our cellar, all very different. 


The most recent bottle I bought was 19 Crimes Sauv Block, it was a wine included in the wine tasting I hosted last weekend (more about that in a later post). I quite like the quirkiness of 19 Crimes, it's fun to see the 'convicts' come to life using the Living Wi e Labels app. 

From South Eastern Australia this wine is lighter in aroma than neighbouring New Zealand Sauvignons but still has a lovely nose of gooseberry and grapefruit. It's also light in the mouth but gives great flavour of the said gooseberry with added passion fruit. It has a medium length crisp finish. I really enjoyed this at the wine tasting, everyone agreed it would be super on a sunny afternoon in the garden.  


One of my wines is a newbie to me, The Black Stump Sauvignon Blanc from Laithwaites. Hubby and I have enjoyed The Black Stump Durif Shiraz but we have yet to try the new addition to this super range from winemaker Alan Kennett.

Also from Australia but slightly lower in alcohol the tasting notes for The Black Stump Sauvignon Blanc suggest grapefruit and passion fruit with aromas of lemongrass and lime. I'm very much looking forward to this, it will be interesting to see if it is Old World or New World style. 


My final Sauvignon Blanc is also from Laithwaites; Abbesse a French wine from the Loire Valley. My preferred Sauvignon is French, I prefer the softer but still full aromas and deep but lighter flavours. Abbesse has a really lovely lengthy finish and is one of my favourites. 

I do have one other Sauvignon Blanc, a bottle of Sancerre but not one I will be opening. It was a birthday gift a few years ago from a very talented lady. The decoration is amazing, all my favourite things on a bottle of my favourite wine ... a real treasure. 




Hee hee I actually have four bottles of Sauvignon Blanc to choose from. Hubby popped out earlier and on his return surprised me with a bottle of Val de Loire Sauvignon Blanc. It's not a wine I have had before or seen, it will be interesting to try this. 


Happy Sauvignon Blanc Day - enjoy your wine be it from Down Under, France or elsewhere.... a votre sante! 

1 comment:

Gill Platt said...

Clare, I have continued to follow you on your adventures over the past years. So glad to see that you and Nick are out and about again! Love all of the detail you post. Bonne Continuation!