Friday 7 January 2022

Into 2022 we go ...

At the end of 2021 I was very lucky to be chosen as one of the winners in #ukwinehour Bordeaux wine competition. The case of six wines from Bordeaux Wine UK arrived just before Christmas, a busy time as we were just back from Cornwall celebrating Hubby's big birthday, so after a quick look we put the wines back in the box until after the festivities. 


Usually we celebrate New Year's Eve with our friends at their traditional house party but sadly this year's plans were altered. Thankfully more for precautions than illness but a shame as we would have all appreciated a get together. 

So plans at home were quickly made ... a bbq! 

It was so mild, almost lime a summer's evening. Our electric grill is perfect when it's just us and gives added warmth under the gazebo. To accompany our winter burgers and sausage we opted for one of our Bordeaux wines and Chateau Constant Lesquireau was duly selected. 


After a bit of research I discovered this wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. It's aroma certainly had dark fruits with a hint of earthiness. I loved it's rich fruity blackcurrant and plum flavour, with a touch of spice and soft tannins. It was perfect with our unusual end of year dinner, enjoyed outside in the unusual 15 degree temperature. Thank you Bordeaux Wine UK.

A New Year task that I absolutely love doing is writing up the year's calendar with birthdays and special events. This year we have a very special calendar full of family photos; a superb gift from our lovely daughter. 

I had a very enjoyable time filling in the events of 2022, accompanied by a glass of Les Dauphins Cotes Du Rhone Blanc. Produced by Cellier des Dauphins this, and their red, is my go to French wine. It's always good, matches to most food, and always makes me smile, which I think is the importance of any wine! 


All too soon Christmas and New Year come to an end, although the decorations do stay up until Twelfth Night which is a festival in some branches of Christianity marking the beginning of Epiphany. A count of exactly 12 days from December 25 arrives at 5th January: this is Twelfth Night. The day of Epiphany is January 6th, the day the three wise men came to see the new born King. 

It's always good to mark occasions, be for religious reasons, family traditions or just because you want to. We marked Twelfth Night with a wee dram of Chivas Regal from our visit to Strathisla Distillery when we in Scotland in September, accompanied by the last few chocolate liqueurs.


Chivas Regal is not a whisky I would normally choose but this was lovely. A rich amber colour with a nose of dried fruit, coffee and dark chocolate. It's a very smooth whisky with velvet chocolate flavours and a subtle smokiness, but not peaty. It's certainly one I now have on my 'have again' list. 

I'm not one for New Year resolutions or setting goals as most of the time I fail, but there are things I would like to change or do in 2022. One such thing is more walking, a simple exercise for others but for me with my MS, past injuries and medical issues it is something that gives me a boost. I feel very accomplished when I have managed a good walk: a year ago I was finding 1/4 mile a challenge.

Today Hubby and I completed a 5 mile walk in our local area. I think I was spurred on by our planned stop at Popular Farm on our way back towards home, a local Farm Shop. Today and tomorrow they have Urban Cheesecake street food vendors at the farm. Their cheesecakes are very rich with loads of topping. We chose two different ones and shared them with our son once we arrived home .... delicious and the perfect treat after our 2 hour stroll. 


Our first week of the new year has been fairly quiet but we've made the most of our time at home. Tonight we'll be settling in to watch the new series of one of our favourite tv programmes ... Death in Paradise. I'll be sipping a Southern Comfort, Amaretto and Orange Juice cocktail and thinking of warmer days 😉

No comments: