Wednesday 1 December 2021

The start of advent

 

Advent is an important time in the Christian calendar, meaning 'coming' it is the time before Christmas and the countdown to Jesus's birth. Advent starts on the Sunday nearest to 30th November and in many churches a candle is lit every Sunday up to Christmas Day when a fifth candle is lit. An Advent candle is often lit in homes, we always have one, and light it everyday to count down to the 25th December. I actually bought this today in Bourton-on-the-Water, I have not seen an obelisk shaped one before.

Advent is not solely a religious time, we all love counting down to the festive season when we enjoy time with friends and family. When I was young advent calendars had a window to open for each day revealing a festive picture. When our children were young the opening of the daily cardboard windows revealed a chocolate. 

The choice of advent has certainly changed as now there are beer, wine, gin, whisky, perfume, beauty products and candle advents, of course there is a variety of chocolate ones too. I love having an advent calendar, a surprise everyday amidst the chaotic Christmas preparations always makes me smile.


In recent years I have put together an Advent Calendar (of sorts) for my Hubby, I even managed last year thanks to online deliveries. This year I have found 24 different bottles of beer, all neatly wrapped with a swirl of ribbon and most importantly a sticky label for each day. I cannot remember which beer I wrapped for each day so it will be a surprise for me too! 



Hubby has been an absolute star again. He always treats me to a special advent, this year it's one from l'Occitane. Their products are all from Provence in France and all so so lovely, I can't wait to see what is behind each window. I was so surprised today when I discovered it was double sided. Behind number one was 'cooling hand cream', perfect as the last few days in Gloucester have been quite chilly and my hands need a bit of care. 



In November whilst at McArthurglen Outlet we spotted a candle advent on offer at half price. Unbelievably the tealights inside would have cost more to buy ordinarily and there would be no excitement. We bought one for us and one for our daughter, it will be fun opening the same windows with us living over 100 miles apart. Today's window not only had a clear cup tealight but also a little 'Merry Christmas' glass holder - what a super idea.


Advent is a very special time of year for everyone. I wish you all peace and happiness with heartfelt hope for a Christmas with friends and families after the recent uncertain times. Time to light my candle, God bless.



2 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Mary - Lecoeurceltique said...

I love your advent candle Clare. If I remember I must look out for one next year. Yes, we are spoiled for choice with Advent calendars these days. I usually have a religious themed one to open. This year for a change I bought myself an Advent tea calendar.