Monday 8 February 2021

Laithwaites in lockdown

Although Laithwaites offer many wine plans I prefer to buy wine as and when I either need more or I see an offer that cannot be missed. Back in January I saw such an offer, these lovely six reds for under £40 with free delivery.


I am starting to enjoy a glass or two but not very often. I have plenty of whites in the cellar but not so many reds. The offer was for a mixed six, all red or all white  but I opted for the reds, especially as there are a couple of my favourites in there that I hope will help get my tastebuds going again.

My own tasting notes are not up to much just now, they would be pretty one dimensional so I have copied the descriptions from Laithwaites. 

Willy Willy 2020 Shiraz - South Eastern Australian shiraz from Bob Berton

Aroma - spiced plum and blackcurrant and hints of vanilla
Tasting Notes - rich, ripe mouthful of black fruit with a twist of pepper

Chateau Loirac 2015 - gold-medal Cru Bourgeois Medoc

Aroma - savoury blackberry, raspberry, with truffle hints, mature fruits
Tasting Notes - silky with mature fruits, cedar and a subtle hint of oak

La Multa Vinas Viejas 2018 - old vine tempranillo from high vineyards made by Norrel Robertson

Aroma - ripe black fruit, wild herb ripple and spice 
Tasting Notes - big mouthful of ripe black fruit,  strawberry, wild herbs

The Waxed Bat Reserve - exviting wine ftom Argentina, made by Opi Sadler

Aroma - ripe black fruits, violets, liquorice, spice
Tasting Notes - bold, smooth, black fruit, violets and a liquorice tang

Tenuta Fenice Nero d'Avola 2019 - barrel-aged from mature vineyards towards the high Salemi hills

Aroma - bountiful, ripe blackberry, spice and liquorice scents
Tasting Notes - velvety and dense with vibrant cherry and berry and rich spice 

Alta Sada Garnacha 2019 - old-vine from a remote high-altitude vineyard in Navarra

Aroma - blackberry, raspberry, violets and wild herbs
Tasting Notes - deep, rich and velvety, luscious raspberry fruits and herbal hints


I really like The Waxed Bat and am looking forward to trying it, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy all its rich flavours. 

Another favourite of mine is The Black Stump. I was delighted to receive an email offering two bottles of this along with two bottles of Baron de Barbon Rioja, all for less then £30 and again free delivery. They will be arriving this afternoon, snow permitting. 


Here's Laithwaites wine notes: 

The Black Stump Durif Shiraz 2020 - South Eastern Australian number one best seller 

Aroma - ripe plum, blackberry, raspberry, cinnamon and clove spice
Tasting Notes - rich and smooth, full-bodied, super ripe black fruit and spice

Baron de Barbon Oak Aged Rioja 2019 - number one best selling rioja 

Aroma - juicy berries with light vanilla and oak spice
Tasting Notes - medium weight, silky and brightly fruity with some spice notes


Thank you Laithwaites for some great wines, I'll be looking out for more of your great offers, especially if PS Petillant Rose is included, it was my Dsd's favourite and one we haven't had for a few years. 

No comments: