Thursday 4 October 2018

People's Choice Wine Awards .... I was a judge .....

..... in Round 1 and Round 2 !
Earlier in the summer a competition was launched to find judges for Round 1 of this special choice award. Why is this award so special? Because it is people from all walks of life choosing which wine is the best in each category.

People who all love wine, from those enjoying a glass at home with friends to those appearing on tv to share their knowledge with us all. With various levels of wine qualifications, mine being zero, the judges all had one thing they equally shared ... their enthusiasm about wine!

Brilliant artwork by cartoonist Tony Husband
I was so surprised when Janet Harrison emailed to say I had been selected as a judge for Round 1. Run by Janet, founder of Cracking Wine and The Fizz Festival, this is the second year these awards have been held, this year having more than double the number of wines entered.

People's Choice Wine Awards is quite active on Twitter, a social media app through which I have chatted and met some lovely people. Being a judge in Round 1 was a chance not only to review wine but also to meet a few of my fellow tweeters; some old friends, some new, all great wine peeps VinoViews, Wine Buffer, Just Perfect Wines and TerriandRex

Over 200 bottles were submitted for judging; submitted by high street supermarkets, independent wine shops, importers, suppliers and producers in the 20 categories listed below. The categories underlined were the wines I tasted and reviewed; Table 3 hosted by Lee Middleton was such fun, everyone having different backgrounds but all enjoying the challenge of scoring each wine.
Cheers !!             Photo @jonshootsthings 
Table 3 with our wines to taste and score
The award categories were:  
    
Out of the Ordinary       Boxing Clever        Fabulous Fizz - Champagne

     Fabulous Fizz - Sparkling Wine (Rest of the World)       One Man and his BBQ

Party Central        Food Friendly Wines - Red for Lighter Meals     Pizza Night

Girls Night In      Fabulous Fizz - Sparkling Wine (UK)        Heavy Duty

  War of the Rosés      Food Friendly Wines - Red for Easy Weekday Meals     Bargain Buys

Food Friendly Wines - Red for Hearty Meals     Food Friendly Wines - White for Lighter Meals

Sweets for My Sweet       Food Friendly Wines - White for Aromatic & Asian Meals  
   
Food Friendly Wines - White for Light Meals with Sauces      Blow Out! 



All the wine bottles were covered so we had no idea which country they were from, which grape variety they were, how much they cost, who the producer was ..... everything was unknown.

I thoroughly enjoyed judging the wines for what they were, as they were presented in the glass. Looking at colour, aroma, flavour, whether they fitted the category and mostly importantly would I buy a bottle - hence People's Choice Wine Awards.

It's at this point I must mention the spittoons; those who know me also know that spitting is one of my pet hates, anywhere, be it on a sports field, in the street and at wine events.

I must admit to being very apprehensive about this side of being a judge especially as with the quantity of wines spitting was vital.

So I took along a 'friend' - my love it or hate it Marmite espresso cup - perfect for the job both in Round 1 and Round 2!


Round 2? Yes really....

... at the end of Round 1 Janet chose 4 Supertasters to join wine journalists, experts, tv wine personalities, online event organisers, restaurant owners, so many well known people from the world of wine. I was stunned and humbled to be asked to judge Round 2, huge congratulations to the wine doctor, Dan Doherty  and Tory Locke who were also chosen as Supertasters.

Round 2 judges, the unofficial photo - being tall I'm hiding at the back 
The event was held at Albert Square Chop House in Manchester and it was with added excitement that I arrived at midday on Tuesday. Excitement as not only was I going to be a Judge in Round 2 but I was also going to finally meet people I have followed, liked or chatted with online.

It was a real pleasure to meet Brian Elliott, Peter Ranscombe, Amelia Singer, PleaseBringMeMyWine and Sorcha Holloway . I really had to pinch myself to think that ordinary me from a small Midlands market town was judging wine for a national competition along side wine experts - such an amazing day, thank you.

Round 2 involved judging the top 3 or 4 of each categories - I have italicised in the list above the ones our table judged, starting with ..... Champagne !
Best way to start with Champagne
Out of the Ordinary
Heavy Duty - dessert wines
Sitting round the table, tasting and thinking about wine, chatting and giggling with such lovely people made it such a special day for me. I can honestly say it was an honour to be part of this event and the wine's that win the awards really will be by People's Choice.

You too can be part of these awards by voting for your favourite Independent Wine Supplier and your favourite Supermarket - vote here.

I am really looking forward to seeing who has been awarded the prize for each category especially those I helped judge.

Thank you Janet and everyone that helped with this amazing event.

@jonshootsthings 

1 comment:

Julie said...

Well done Clare