Saturday 11 August 2018

Chateau Hearnden's latest cru

Cru ... perfect description, not really to do with the wine in production but everything to do with our next trip ....... Champagne-Ardenne!

My next few posts will be full of bubbles; this post has bubbles too but not quite in the same way. Every so often I put my vintner skills into practice; I say skills but the master vintners have no need to worry just yet.

This time Chateau Hearnden is producing rhubarb wine. I bought the rhubarb at a local village fete. It was soon chopped and in the big bucket with a gallon of hot water .....

....... a month (or so) later this was the result.


Anyone fancy a glass? Thought not!

A careful procedure next to remove all the fruit and growing fungi to reveal a gallon of very concentrated rhubarb juice.



As you can see it still has many fine particles, the next stage is to filter the liquid through a fine muslin and add sugar.


A clearer juice with its energy ready to go. I did leave this a few days to see if it would activate itself but no bubbles appeared. A little wine yeast soon had it activated and bubbling away.


I wonder how long it will bubble for, hopefully we will not come home from holiday to an explosion!

I have no idea when this 'cru' will be ready, wine making at home is a bit of a 'wait and see' hobby so time will tell. I last made rhubarb wine in 2014 and I would say it hadn't really developed fully until last year.

Off now to see how it should be done 😉

No comments: